3 fashion cities
This is a three-week course for fashion students, or those working within the industry, who want a more ‘hands-on’ experience. It is an especially valuable opportunity for international students from different cultures and fashion backgrounds, interested in studying in three capitals of Fashion, to gain unique insights into their rich and varied design cultures.
The teaching methods are flexible so students of different levels and from different contexts can benefit and achieve a positive outcome. They can use the experience to help them in applying for undergraduate or postgraduate courses or to complement existing studies or professional experience.
Why 3 Fashion Cities?
London, Paris and Rome are all European Capitals of Fashion with unique histories and cultural identities. The new collaboration between three internationally reputable institutions in Europe: Kingston University in London, Ecole de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne in Paris and Accademia Costume & Moda in Rome, is a new innovative formula for fashion education short courses, combining an introduction to each city’s specifically diverse culture and the is own fashion system.
What will you study?
This exciting opportunity covers a variety of creative research and specialist workshops led by experts. The content of each course each course is based on design methods within each institution leading to different fashion outcomes, reflecting the locations cultural diversity of the three capitals.
The interactive approach of a creative workshop format within each school is combined with city visits and exhibitions. This enables the student to gain a full understanding and appreciate the different cultural approaches to fashion in the 3 cities.
A detailed programme will be given to each student that is successfully selected to be on the course and have completed the tuition payment.
Each Fashion City experience can include the following but is not limited to:
– Visual research including archives
– Museum and library visits
– Creative workshop exploration
– 2D/3D design work
– Work on stand
– Making of a toile or prototype
– Portfolio feed back
What to Bring?
Most workshop resources will be provided in each school, however you will need to bring some basic art and design equipment to each course:
– Laptop (with ADOBE Photoshop and Powerpoint)
– Drawing materials
– A detailed list of equipment will be provided when you have been accepted on the course.
24th of June, 2017
24/06/2017 – 01/07/2017 LONDON: KINGSTON UNIVERSITY
02/07/2017 – 08/07/2017 PARIS: ECOLE DE LA CHAMBRE SYNDICALE DE LA COUTURE PARISIENNE
09/07/2017 – 15/07 /2017 ROME: ACCADEMIA COSTUME & MODA
24th June – 1st July 2017
Cutting Edge Design – From Archive to Modernity
Kingston offers an experience of the cutting edge uniquely British point of view of Fashion Design. The unique design experience will include:
- London shops/exhibitions
- Visit and talk at premier vintage store
- Visit to top London designer studio
- Research in Kingston costume archive
- Access to Kingston state of the art Learning Resource Centre
- Access to fashion department, staff, technicians and resources
- Launch/signature of book “Developing a Fashion Collection” published by Bloomsbury
ECOLE DE LA CHAMBRE SYNDICALE DE LA COUTURE PARISIENNE
2nd July — 8th July 2017
Haute Couture tradition of ‘flou’ technique – from Classical drape to avant-garde.
The course will offer the students an introduction to the origin of draping and its link from the ‘flou’ tradition of Paris Haute Couture to avant-garde. The course is designed in an interactive workshop format and will include:
- Introduction to Haute Couture tradition of “flou”
- Visual research methods and how to document your process
- Visit to a reputed Paris Fashion Museum and library resources
- Introduction to techniques of draping and fabric manipulation
- Shown how to present your work in mini portfolio
ACCADEMIA COSTUME & MODA
9th – 15th July 2017
Understanding Italian Design through Luxury Fashion Accessory Brands and Creative Workshops.
The course offers an opportunity to be introduced to the real Italian Fashion System through study of Accessories Design, its luxury brands and by the end of the week produce your own bag design in leather.
- Bag design and development
- Practical workshops in order to create leather bag prototype
- Introduction to the luxury accessory design brand codes
- Theory/history lectures on accessories
- Special visits day visit to Florence
- Expert guided tour to both the Gucci and Ferragamo
Be Social !